...Or, Why Jeff Is Better Off With His Desk Job...
I'll never be a handyman. I don't have the patience, I dont' like to finish projects (just start them and get them 80% done - that last 20% is a killer!), and, well, I tend to injure myself.
I took Friday off and decided to work on some home projects. I started Project #1 - Ceiling Light In Kitchen Over Bar - at 8:15 am. By 8:30 am, I was on the couch with an ice pack on my shoulder blade, 2 Tylenol, and Joe wondering just how I did what I did.
But before embarassing myself further, I offer this redeeming photo of the end result, after the Tylenol kicked in and I didn't see 2 of everything:
This is over the bar area in the kitchen. It's a halogen light kit, with bendable rails that we rigged to follow the contour opf the bar/island area. I'm pleased with how it came out, and it does add a nice dramatic lighting effect at night. So 2 thumbs up! Now I need to paint the ceiling (ugh.....!).
My plan for this project was to first remove the light box the electricians put in, make a new hole about 10 inches over, install a new light box, and rewire the light. It went something like this:
- At 8:15 I got out the ladder.
- By 8:20, I was up on the ladder, removing the screws and disconnecting the light fixture wires.
- **(This is where your inner voice should be yelling "DANGER! DANGER!!")**
- By 8:22, I was flat on my back, on the floor, with the ladder on my head, and my shoulder into the sink cabinet door.
I fell off the ladder. Actually, I fell down the ladder. I missed the step completely, from 3 steps up, grabbed hold of the ladder, and brought it all down with me. FYI, ceramic tiles are very hard. The new cabinets are pretty solid, too! Except for that one door.... I'm not saying any more than that, but it was not pretty.
After Joe checked out my shoulder (boy, what a nice scrape/bruise!), he got me an ice pack, some Tylenol, and put me on the couch for a little bit. Not a good start to my day.....
On the positive side, today we finished the Pantry Project that I started in September. We bought the doors and I painted them and mounted them:
And they work! Yay!