Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Jeff Gets Crafty!

Here's a "tease" picture to entice you to read all the way to the end! It's called "I Made These":


While I was off work for the last 2 weeks of December, I had a chance to check out Martha Stewart's new show. I decided after watching a few episodes, that I must have some crafting capabilities somewhere hiding inside me.

She seemed to spend ALOT of time talking about how to fold the perfect t-shirt. I never really thought about it, but gosh darn it, after watching her do it (and do it, and do it, and make every guest do it....), I decided to give it a shot. Something about putting a finger here, folding here, wrapping this, yada yada....

Long story short, it was much more complicated than she made it look on TV. Joe's still laughing at me. Luckily, we use hangers for all our t-shirts...crisis averted.

So with that behind me......I was intrigued by this idea she had of converting Christmas cards into little boxes. Now that seemed useful, and much more up my alley! Make a few markings, a cut here and there, a few folds, some glue, and PRESTO! A Beautiful Box!

So I grabbed all the Christmas cards we got and went to town. The good news is we had lots of cards...the operative word being "had". This was a little tricky at first, and we did have a few sacrifices (sorry Mom, we loved your card though! Really!). But I'm pleased to report that I eventually got the hang of it, and created THIS!!:


What I thought was cool was when you opened it, and see the message inside:


I ended up making 4 boxes in all. *flex*

Martha, if you happen to see this, I hope I made you proud, and want to let you know that I am available for booking on your show. Maybe you can teach me that whole t-shirt folding thing once and for all....

8 Comments:

Blogger shopgirl said...

Jeff~

Those boxes turned out really cute. Sounds like you had fun tuning in to Martha's new show.

T-shirts on hangars is the only way to go. Who has time for all that perfect folding anyways?

Have a good one!

~ shopgirl

8:10 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

Those boxes are really cool! I wonder if the instructions are on Martha's web site.
Hey, she or someone who works for her does check the blogs, maybe you will get a chance to show your talents on TV after all!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Love the boxes! I'm craft deficient--I wonder if that's somethign I could do? I can't even cut that good. I'm a lefty in a righty's world. :)

11:25 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

shopgirl - thanks! I know I sure don't have time for folding!

patti - haha - thanks for stopping by. I'll be waiting for that call form Martha's people.

jj - i'm about as craft-deficient as they come, so I think you could easily do this. And even better, I'm a lefty too!! :)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Jeff, these are awesome! I'm sooo impressed, both with your craftiness and that there's something else to do with a christmas card besides hang it up, throw it in a box, or throw it away! You're very witty - I like your site!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

michelle - aw, shucks. :p thanks for stopping by! My Master Plan is to make small boxes next year for the holiday goodie packages Joe and I send out and put fudge in them. We even bought cards at 90%-off after Christmas just for this purpose!

Great ambition...let's see if I can actually find them in 11 months, and then remember how I made the boxes....

10:29 PM  
Blogger AzureLynn said...

Okay, I wanna know how to make the boxes... and lefty-schmefty! I am a lefty too.... if you can -- then you've inspired me to try... where's the instructions? online anywhere perhaps? Let us know! In the mean time I will search it out!

10:35 PM  
Blogger AzureLynn said...

I found this doing a search. Anything like what they show here??

http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/cardbox1.html

TIA --- Many Blessings

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home