Friday, May 16, 2008

One Man's Junk.......

It's the most interesting thing. Tomorrow, our little city has it's annual Bulk Trash Day. Put your junk out by the curb, starting 2 days before pick-up, and the city will pick it up.

We had NO IDEA this was a major event! There has been a constant stream of trucks with trailers cruising up and down the street ALL DAY.
They stop at every pile and rifle through it, taking anything and everything! These people took the neighbor's basketball hoop!And the neighbors even helped them load it into their truck!

I have never seem so much junk piled into truck beds and trailers....
I mean, never!
My favorite so far was the lady who stopped and cut off roots from a nearly dead bush one of the neighbors put out.

Down the street, the folks made it into a party by setting up lawn chairs in their front yard, with a big cooler of beer.

Wow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like....dumpster diving without the dumpster! Craig's list without Craig! I'm LOVING this concept!

Quinn

6:11 AM  
Blogger Erika W. said...

Oh my...my brother's neighbors must be one of those driving around. They live in Columbia Heights, and their neighbors are constantly bringing home other people's junk, cleaning it up or fixing it and then selling it at their almost weekly garage sales. I guess they make a lot of money doing it, but their backyard is always full of junk.

That reminds me, today we have our city wide rummage sale day, so I have some junk to put out for the passersby.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Tree said...

A woman at work was telling me how she and her boyfriend were invited by friends to do this very thing. Apparently, it's not uncommon! She said that in certain wealthy towns, the night before trash is picked up you can find lines of cars driving around taking others' trash.
Years ago, I had a friend who furnished her apartment with dumpster diving trips to a local university. She got all kinds of stuff in perfect condition.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home