Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Dear Spike.....

Dear Spike -

Hi, old boy. I just felt like writing you a letter today :) Daddy and I really miss you alot.

It's really quiet and lonely around here without you. There are so many little things that we are noticing every day.....and it's hard to get used to life without them and you.

Your wicker bed made SOOO many creaks when you got in and out - I miss that :) We also miss the thumping of you making your way down the stairs. I have to say, you took those steps much better than I ever thought you would at your age! And nobody starts to grunt and bark at 5:30 am saying they want to be fed! As much as we complained about that, we miss it.

I had gotten very used to our little routine when I got home from work. I loved your little waddling over to me and letting me get down on all fours and give you a great big puppy-dog bear hug as you rubbed your snout against my leg. Max really does not do that right - you were the master of that one!

Speaking of, Max really misses you. He has been pretty quiet lately. He seems to be looking for you. As much as he harassed you, it's pretty clear he looked up to you :) He often just sits on the deck quietly, sometimes looking around like he's expecting you to mossie on back from your trek around the yard.

Do you remember when we lived in Phoenix, and you, Max and Miss Kitty made Daddy Joe a garden stone, and I helped you put all your little paw prints in the cement? Well, I put that on the deck, and caught Max putting his little nose up to your paw print:
...and then just kinda look around.....
I told you he misses you :)

So many people have sent us notes and thoughts - you certainly left an impression. You had 79 messages over on Joe's blog - can you believe that?!? Joe wrote a beautiful tribute to you that had everyone in tears. He also said you ran like a bunny :p That was cute. And you know it's true, so don't get all riled up!

I still cry when I think about you - there's just a really big hole in my heart. I never would have guessed when we came into each other's lives 18 years ago that you would be such a great companion.

This is the very first picture of you that I ever took - do you remember it? It was taken right after I brought you home from the rescue shelter, when we lived in that apartment complex in Frederick. You came home and jumped right up on the couch. Our friend Christine took the picture and had it made into a mug that says:
You know I am keeping this forever :)

There's nobody like you, Spike, and there never will be. We hope you are making many new friends and telling them about the amazing and fantastic life you had - and all the adventures we put you through.

I am guessing you have a crowd gathered around right now, telling them about your travels from Maryland to New Jersey, to Minnesota, then Phoenix, back to Maryland and then Minnesota. They must all think we were nuts! But you have seen so much and are probably the Wise Old One up there. That's our boy :)

Anyhow, I just wanted to say how much I miss you, my big old puppy dog. Send us a little sign every now and then to let us know you are ok and thinking about us :)

Love,
Daddy

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a sweet and sad letter. It is hard to say goodbye to someone that has been a member of your family for so long. And the pictures of Max looking for Spike are heartbreaking. *sniff*

9:41 AM  
Blogger Tree said...

I'm glad you posted this.
I'm sending good thoughts and energy your way!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Erika W. said...

((Jeff))

1:04 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

(((HUGS)))

6:26 PM  
Blogger Urdarbrunnr said...

It does get easier, though you're never going to forget your little guy.

And that coffee cup is too precious (and I don't like using that word in that regard).

*Hugs*

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff, what an awesome letter to Spike! The emotion....Poor Max - he's grieving with you too....

Quinn xoxo

8:35 AM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Thank you all for the kind notes :) It helps.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a beautiful letter. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home