Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Over the course of the past 12 years, I've relocated 7 times. The best relocation, of course, was to Minneapolis, because that's where I met Joe :) And now we're off to Maryland in a few days!

About 10 years ago, I got this thing as a gift from a family member:


It's Vermont Maple Syrup. In a glass bottle. In the form of Abraham Lincoln. It stands about 15 inches tall:

This stupid thing has traveled around the country. For some reason, I have a hard time throwing it out. Not because I got it from a family member - but because every time I try to put it in the trash, the following scene plays out in my head:

I'm at the Antiques Roadshow with my Abe Lincoln Maple Syrup Bottle.

Antique Roadshow Expert: "And what did you bring today?"

Jeff: "I brought this Abe Lincoln Maple Syrup Bottle!"

ARE: "Wow! This is indeed a rare and unique find! I only know of 2 ever made! And the other one was thrown out by some unknowing fool! What do you think it's worth?"

Jeff: "Well, the price tag is still on it, and they paid $49.99 for it 10 years ago. ...so I'm guessing...$8.00?"

ARE: "I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. In mint condition and unused, this would easily fetch $20,000 at auction!"

Jeff: "Wow! Do you think the maple syrup is still good?"


And so it gets packed, every time. With the movers coming tomorrow to pack up everything, I made my usual trip with Abe out to the trash tonight....and came back with it. Again.

Should I take it, or toss it?

5 Comments:

Blogger Ed Tep said...

Jeff - What a dilemma! My vote is to keep the syrup. But only if you display it next to the can of Jimmy Carter Peanut Butter and the jar of Ronald Reagan Jelly Beans.

2:04 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Abe definitely needs to make the move! Good luck on the move.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

No doubt, Keep It!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Ok, Abe is on the Big Truck working his way from Phoenix to Maryland. :)

2:38 PM  
Blogger mckay said...

i know exactly what you mean...and i love that antique roadshow.

cash in the attic is another good one.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home