Friday, February 23, 2007

Moving the floor vent

Today's mission with the Master Bedroom Remodel Project was to relocate the floor heat vent, which is in the now-closet, to the other side of the new wall. This way, we can have heat in the bedroom part, which, after our first winter here, is clearly a good thing.

First, we cut a little bit of the floor out, so we could remove the vent duct:
Then we figured out where to locate the new floor vent, and cut out a new hole in front of the new wall framing:The next step was to re-position the elbow duct 180-degrees to face towards the new vent hole:
We found some really cool flexible, expanding heating duct pipe stuff that goes from 3 feet to 8 feet, just like that! So I attached one end to the vent duct, cut another hole in the floor, ran the vent to the new hole, and ran the duct under the floor:
We then pulled the expanding duct through to the other half of the floor to the elbow duct, and attached it with duct tape:
After testing it to make sure it worked, we patched up the floors, and presto!We were quite pleased that we were able to do this ourselved. It was pretty simple looking back, but we had this fear we would "find something" after we cut the holes in the floor that would cause a big problem. Luckily, we did not. Yay!


Post a Comment

<< Home