Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Ok, I Don't Like Bugs....

So! After yesterday's harrowing experience with the Black Widow, I decided to move outside, where it's safer!!

That's where I encountered THIS!!!
Eep!

Note: The fun thing about me and discovering new insects that I've never seen before, is that I immediately run to find the camera. I drop everything. I come running inside, Joe looks at me like I'm crazy, Max starts barking his head off, and back outside I go. I know, I'm weird. I like to think of it as one of my (many) endearing qualities.

So back to the bug. After much research (3 minutes with Google), I found out this is a Wheel Bug, Assassin of the Bug World! And lookie - he is eating his little prey!

That little red pointy thing is his assassin head/nose. It uses that to suck out the insides of whatever it kills (I think this used to be a caterpillar), liquifying it with its venon.

I also learned that if this thing bites you, it hurts. Luckily, I learned that through reading, and not experience. I am guessing had it not been feeding, it never would have let me get this close for pictures.

So! What's next? Or should I not ask.....!

7 Comments:

Blogger MeBeth said...

That is one seriously creepy looking bug - I'm beginning to wonder if you have a disproportionate number of evil insects roaming your property.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Tree said...

I'm so happy to know Spike is okay. I have these anti-spider devices in my home which plug into an outlet and set off some kind of noise that keeps spiders away. All I hear is a low clicking but they really work. I used to have lots of brown spiders in the house but no more. As a test, I stopped using the one in my bedroom and found spiders within a day or two. Sunbeam makes these, I'm sure other companies do, too.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Tree said...

almost forgot...*SHUDDER* That's one creepy looking insect!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Urdarbrunnr said...

Who would win in a contest between the new bug and the black widow? I think you should set them up and find out.

You have some pretty serious bugs there, I hope you haven't dropped the habit of checking your shoes before you put them on.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

LOL you crack me up. I have seen what I was told were "assassin bugs" around the farm, and they are indeed pretty cool. I can't believe I never thought to google them. : )

1:04 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Hi mebeth - I think I need to live in a bubble.....

Hi tree - I'll have to look into that spider device thingies. I've caught a few larger brown spider thingies downstairs that also creep me out.

Hiyas SK - now I wish I would have thought of that.....putting the 2 in a little bug arena! Remind me to remind you how twisted you are when you get back....

Hi FG Susan! I lived in Maryland for 10 years before coming back, and NEVER saw any of this stuff. What freaks me out the most is when I try to go outside at night and 6 trillion bugs of various shapes and sizes swarm my head. Gah! I'd never make it in the wild....

6:51 PM  
Blogger Ed Tep said...

Jeff - You are completely grossing me out. Ewww. I had no idea that y'all had moved from the dessert to the set of "Starship Troopers." Especially with that bug with the "sucking out the goobly gop" appendage. You can have the bugs. I'll take Casper Van Dien. At least I know what to get y'all as a housewarming present. One of those fly swatters that looks like a tennis racket but is electrically charged to zap em when you swat em.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home