Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sell This House!

Or, in this case, burn it!

When we were out in the Frederick, Maryland area last week looking around, we hooked up with a realtor and checked out a few places, just to get a feel for houses in the area.

Being a realtor has to be tough. You never know just what you are walking into. This one house that we visited, really looked picture-perfect on the outside. Only a few years old, our expectations were pretty high.

The first hint of trouble was surprising the homeowner. Despite having an appointment, he didn't realize we were coming, and I think we woke him up (in the middle of the afternoon).

As he gathered his stuff to leave, we wandered into the kitchen. Um....this is what we found:


This was on the kitchen island countertop. And yes, those are droppings. I believe it's a hamster in the cage. A messy one at that. When I took a peek inside, I came face-to-face with the hamster-equivalent of Cujo:
I'm glad I decided not to stick my finger in and try to pet it!

As I said, I think we woke up the homeowner when we arrived. This is where he was sleeping:

Aside from the sleeping quarters in the middle of the living room (there were no beds in any of the bedrooms), the oversized chairs drew our attention...and not in a good way.

Perhaps they should turn on the Christmas tree lights to create a more soothing and appealing focal point. Who cares if it's April - HO HO HO!

As we left the living room, we couldn't help but notice the laundry room...again, not in a good way:

Joe: "What's that coming from under the washer?"
Jeff: "Ew."
Realtor: "Don't touch it..."
Jeff: "Say, a toy firetruck!"

The upstairs was a disaster. I've never seen carpeting in such bad shape. For a house that's only 4-5 years old, these people really demolished it. And the paint jobs on the walls were soooo bad - sloppy, and it did not cover at all.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for the realtor that has the house listed, or be angry for even listing such a house and not providing some kind of warning; at the very least in some secret realtor code, like "Great fixer-upper opportunity!". Or "Please get rabies shot before entering"....

10 Comments:

Blogger MeBeth said...

EWWWWWW! That is really gross.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yuck! I'm looking at houses in OK this weekend; I hope I have better experiences!! I saw some doozies when I was searching for my current house 6 years ago. Makes you wonder about people...and makes me not feel so bad about the occasional black Peanut-hair ball (Peanut the dog).

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home