Monday, October 23, 2006

Farming 101

I've never really been around farms, so now that we are living in the country, I'm seeing all kinds of new things and getting quite an education.

When I saw this out the front window across the street:
....I called to Joe and said "What the heck is that?!"

He told me it's a combine. Oh! I've heard of those. It was pretty cool. And HUGE! This would be fun to take one day on my work commute.


While I was standing on the front porch taking pictures (and probably looking like a tourist in our own neighborhood), I also captured this picture of the trees across the street, which are quite vibrant with their colors:

8 Comments:

Blogger Urdarbrunnr said...

You're such a city boy! Did Jeff roll his eyes when you asked what the combine was?

You can hire on with a custom combine crew and work the season, starting in NoDak and moving south with the harvest. Something to think about if that WF thing doesn't work out.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Yes, he did. Imagine his embarrassment when I started taking pictures on the front steps....

Combine crew, eh? Maybe in the off-season I could join the circus, or work for the Fair!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Tree said...

Those trees are so pretty!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly the tree seemed to turn this year?

7:45 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Hi Tree - they were really vibrant. Note that the tree in OUR yard is half-dead and not changing colors at all....*sigh*

Hi Barbara - it seemed like overnight! I kept wondering when they would turn, and all of a sudden, they are turned.

8:16 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Thanks for the tree photo - here in the city we miss some of the great foliage. (And I wouldn't have know what that big tractor thing was either.)

7:27 AM  
Blogger JuliaR said...

I just surfed here from Farm Girl's blog and wanted to congratulate you on your sheep (ram). An artist/farmer friend of mine named one of her yaks after me but then the next year, they ate it. So brace yourself! Lovely looking dog you have, too.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Hi juliar - thanks for stopping by! Poor Farmgirl Susan - I pestered her for a year to get something named - haha.

Oh my - they ate it?? Eep!!

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home