Saturday, April 29, 2006

Odd Memories of Home

One of the great things about Moms is that they tend to hold onto things forever, especially things that you made with your own loving hands. I think I might have her committed for holding on to this:

So what is it? A ceramic coffin, of course. With french fries on top. If I remember correctly, the cross was a last-minute addition....though I don't remember why.

I made this in college. Believe it or not, I never experimented with drugs. Though I wish I had - it might help explain it. Here's a look at the inside:


I had taken a ceramics class just for the heck of it, and it turned out to be a ton of fun. I made some really neat stuff (as in, normal.... mugs, vases, plates, a bell. Mom still has all that too). At the end of the semester, we were given an assignment to make something free-form.

I would love to be me now, going through the thought process of me-then in coming up with this beauty. I really am at a loss as to how this was the end-result of hours of planning. I do know the french fries had something to do with the fact that I loved french fries (McDonalds in particular). How they got on a coffin, though, is less clear.

Anyhow, when we were at my Mom's house a few weeks ago, this was still sitting on the dresser in the spare bedroom where we stay when we visit. Clearly, I made her proud. Or senile. Joe still shakes his head......

19 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love that story..... but I do think the french fry coffin is a little odd.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Urdarbrunnr said...

I thought you were going to allow anonymous comments? Now I had to go and get a whole new identity, and I really had to dig deep for this one. But I'm really beginning to like it: Well of Fate.

But, back to your post, 60% weird, and if you haven't figured out who I am yet, that should clue you in.

And here's something new for you, in case you still haven't figured out my identity:
http://www.blogthings.com/threequestionpersonalitytest/

8:42 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Hi Linda - "a little odd"? I made it and I think it's ALOT odd. =:o

SK - Yeah yeah, I'm working on it! Hard to believe it's only 60%, isn't it? :)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

I also stuffed a rat in high school, and sure enough, Mom kept it. I finally tossed it many years later after finding it in the basement of Mom's house...

11:14 PM  
Blogger Urdarbrunnr said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Urdarbrunnr said...

Do you have this one bookmarked?

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

Only 141 days...

4:37 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

It's easy to remember - that's also my birthday! So it's clearly fate _ i was mean to be a pirate! Arrrr! :)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

*meant*

6:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Maybe the symbolism was that if you keep each french fries at McDonalds at a high rate, you'll soon end up in a coffin? :) Beats me...what an imagination. Do you recall what grade you got on it?

12:34 AM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Hi jj - that makes sense. Maybe I was just ahead of my time thinking of the impacts of fast food...haha.

I got an A in the class, but can't recall what I got on this particular piece. I do think it was the most unique of the class....go figure :p

Thanks for stopping by!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home