Saturday, November 18, 2006

All's Clear in the Chimney!

We love fires. Especially the intended ones. So having a fireplace is a nice perk.

We had a chimney sweep come over the other day to clean the chimney. We always do that when we move into a new (to us) house, so we have one less potential for disaster. We all know that I attract disasters, so this is important.

The chimney sweep we found was recommended by our kitchen contractor and the eletrician. After checking the BBB records and being satisfied this guy was legit, I called to set up an appointment, thinking it would take maybe a week. This was in early October. (Haha. Apparently, I hit my head pretty hard when I fell off that turnip truck yesterday.)

I got the sweep-person's voicemail the first time, and his message went something like this:

Chim-chim-a-ney
Chim-chim-a-ney
Chim-chim, cha-ree
I feel mighty lucky that you're calling me!

Chim-chim-a-ney
Chim-chim-a-ney
Chim-chim, cha-roo
Leave your name and your number and I'll get back to youuuuuu!

...

Against my better judgement, I left my name and my number. And the next day, he got back to me.

Jeff: I'm looking to get my chimney cleaned, are you available?
Chimney Sweep: I don't sweep, I don't eat!
Jeff: Well, eating is nice. I'm off next Friday afternoon, October 14 if that works for you.
Chimney Sweep: I'll pencil you in for November 17!
Jeff: Swell, thanks...

So, a month later, he showed up as planned. Interesting character. He was wearing a big black top-hat, and looked a little odd, but was nice, and did a good job as far as I can tell. At least, he got out his ladder and actually climbed up on the roof.

When he was done, he left this on the mantel:

I'll certainly say I will remember him next year when we have them cleaned again :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Maybe you should have him pencil you in now for next year!! LOL That fire sure does look inviting!! Suz

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from the ghetto (aka PG County). That dude sounds creepy. ;-)

Lovin' the fire ... meanwhile -- it's going to get up to 90 today here! LOL.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Hi Suzanne - that might not be a bad idea! Haha. Maybe I'll get priority treatment if I'm a repeat customer :p

Hey Mike - you should have seen him. THat wa seven scraier than his answering machien singing. Haha. And yeah yeah, rub it in about the weather. This was the time of the year we would call all our relatives on the East coast and tell them how beautiful it was in Phoenix right about now :p

7:42 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

What a character! I wouldn't think that there would be many chimmney sweeps in town, but I guess he still feels the need to distinguish himself from the others!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

hi mebeth - no doubt, he left an impression from the first conversation. At least he didn't tell me the chimney was falling down and for a mere $750 he could fix it right then and there, or th house would catch on fire and explode.

hey tink - ok, that's odd. I wll consider myself lucky. :p

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home