Sunday, November 12, 2006

Home Improvements + Jeff = Danger!!

...Or, Why Jeff Is Better Off With His Desk Job...

I'll never be a handyman. I don't have the patience, I dont' like to finish projects (just start them and get them 80% done - that last 20% is a killer!), and, well, I tend to injure myself.

I took Friday off and decided to work on some home projects. I started Project #1 - Ceiling Light In Kitchen Over Bar - at 8:15 am. By 8:30 am, I was on the couch with an ice pack on my shoulder blade, 2 Tylenol, and Joe wondering just how I did what I did.

But before embarassing myself further, I offer this redeeming photo of the end result, after the Tylenol kicked in and I didn't see 2 of everything:
This is over the bar area in the kitchen. It's a halogen light kit, with bendable rails that we rigged to follow the contour opf the bar/island area. I'm pleased with how it came out, and it does add a nice dramatic lighting effect at night. So 2 thumbs up! Now I need to paint the ceiling (ugh.....!).

My plan for this project was to first remove the light box the electricians put in, make a new hole about 10 inches over, install a new light box, and rewire the light. It went something like this:

  • At 8:15 I got out the ladder.
  • By 8:20, I was up on the ladder, removing the screws and disconnecting the light fixture wires.
  • **(This is where your inner voice should be yelling "DANGER! DANGER!!")**
  • By 8:22, I was flat on my back, on the floor, with the ladder on my head, and my shoulder into the sink cabinet door.
I fell off the ladder. Actually, I fell down the ladder. I missed the step completely, from 3 steps up, grabbed hold of the ladder, and brought it all down with me. FYI, ceramic tiles are very hard. The new cabinets are pretty solid, too! Except for that one door.... I'm not saying any more than that, but it was not pretty.

After Joe checked out my shoulder (boy, what a nice scrape/bruise!), he got me an ice pack, some Tylenol, and put me on the couch for a little bit. Not a good start to my day.....

On the positive side, today we finished the Pantry Project that I started in September. We bought the doors and I painted them and mounted them:

And they work! Yay!

9 Comments:

Blogger Urdarbrunnr said...

LOL!

Seriously, this is why I pay professionals to do things. And it's also why the light in my closet has been out of commission for over a year (plus other projects).

You're to be commended for at least attempting these projects.

It does look nice.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Ed Tep said...

Oh my goodness, Jeff. I hope that you recover from your fall soon and that you are not too sore tomorrow.

3:12 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry, that sounds incredibly painful. Hope you're feeling better soon.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

OUCH! Hope you are feeling better. On the plus side, that is one AWESOME looking light fixture! LOVE IT actually! Suz

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Ha, SK - I'm cheap and stubborn. Besides, my ER co-pay is $75, and that's the minimum it woudl cost just to get someone out to the house these days. So I think it's more cost-effective to fall off the ladder, but getting the job done eventually, versus called a qualified electrician. Remind me I said that when the house burns down due to faulty wiring.....

Hey Ed - Bah, this was nothing. I got run over by the fin of a water ski as a kid, which sliced my forehead wide open. Which may explain alot....

Hi Mebeth - Pain is good - it builds character. Though for someone a little over 30 ("little" is relative in the whole space-time continuum, you know. So no disrepectful comments, SK), that whole concept sucks when you are still sore on day 3.

Hi suzanne - I do think it turned out great *flex*, so it was well worth it! And the good news is we can order a new cabinet door to replace the one I busted! So much for worrying about the first scratch on the new cabinets....

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so confused...the beta stuff is screwy sometimes. Well, I had a comment but I'm not sure what happened to it. I do hope you're better soon, you poor thing!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

hi tree - thanks for stopping by. sorry your comment got lost! Boooo, beta! ><

My back is still sore, but I attribute most of that to just getting too old to fall off ladders any more.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff, the happy homemaker with projects and things. WURQ IT OUT! LOL. A+ for you on even attempting to do stuff like that. Sorry you got hurt though. :-(

12:33 AM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Hey Mike - haha, I worked it out, all the way over to the couch. Good thing Joe takes care of me. And alwsays knows where the ice packs are!

Hi Tina - and here I thought you just didn't care! Hee hee. Thanks for the compliments and concern - I'm one tough cookie! I would need to fall off the roof to really cause damage. OOoo, I probably shouldn't jinx myself, since I still have to put up the outside Christmas lights =:o

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home