Monday, November 20, 2006

Pet Names

No, I don't mean those cute little names you call your special someone...at least not this time.

I was trying to remember tonight how I came up with the name Spike, for Spike.I really couldn't remember where it came from, but I think I had the name before I had the dog. I wanted a dog when I finally was "making it on my own" (e.g., making enough money to pay the rent, the car payment, some food, and beer), and a friend convinced me to go to the local animal shelter and see what they had. Spike came home that day :)

I don't think we had much rhymn or reason for naming Max, other than it seemed like a good name for him. His mother's name was Foxy, and his father's name was Jax, so Max kinda fit right in.

Kitty was named Kitty by default. Her formal name is Miss Kitty.

Growing up, we always had a few pets around the house: Mimi, the black mutt was the first dog I remember as a kid. She lived to be about 12. Then there was Penny (Penelope), because Mom named her and it was a froo-froo poodle; and Peaches, the Old English Sheepdog. I have no idea where that came from. Rerun, the black cat, was named after Rerun, the younger brother of Charlie Brown from the comic strip. I think I picked that one out.

If you have a pet, or had pets growing up, how did you come up with a name?

7 Comments:

Blogger MeBeth said...

Our pet was an adoptee, so she came with the name (Frisky!) but I've always wanted a big dog named Arthur. I have no idea why.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such soulful eyes! I named Kenyon for the poet Jane Kenyon. I had a cat I named Josephine (Josi) because she had a coat of many colors, like Joseph.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harley was 3 1/2 months old and 54 lbs. I tried out several names (Boomer being the other I remembered, as in Boomer Sooner). Harley just fit. It still fits, since he's such a Fat Boy!
Peanut was rescued at a summer camp. She and her brother were found in pretty bad shape. Before they had a definite home, the counselors were already calling them Peanut and Albert, after (in)famous camp skit characters. Her nicknames are Peanutter and Walnut.
Growing up, we had Thunder and Lightning--blue heelers with colors that actually resembled their named. Lightning's back was a beautifull light blue-grey, while Thunder's was dark. We had Cujo the cat, Prince, Kita, Aspen (the latter three were Alaskan Malamutes), and now my parents have another Kita.
My most memorable sheep were Bambi, Thumper, and Sheba Louise.
My lovebirds were Zoey and Maisy. They just fit. :)

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newman & Kramer (dogs)- well any Seinfeld fans will work that out straight away. Betty (cat) had a sister called Wilma and came with her name. Elvis was a rescue cat, previously called Boots. We found out he'd had a broken pelvis, so Elvis he became. Sadly he left the building once and for all this January past, miss him terribly. Oh, and I have a horse called Rabbit.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

My in-laws have a Boston Terrier got his name after I heard him snort and he sounded just like the coffee maker as it finished brewing a pot of coffee.

We had a German Shepard/Huskey mixed named Lucky. He got his name after we found him just before a record low temp. The vet said he never would have survived if we hadn't found him....thus the name Lucky.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

hey, wat about some other lovely names for your pets!! check this pet names out...

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I named my cat Shianne (pronounced like Cheyenne) because I liked the name but never thought I'd have kids (have one but a boy), I named another cat Squeek, because that's the sound she makes, I named another cat Fatty (because he was) I named another cat poop-a-loopa (because when I got him he had dingle berries and smelled like poop, long haired cat), The most recent cat to join our family was named by my 2 year old Son, his name is Meow (the cat, not my son). I named my first horse Valentine becuase I got him for myself on Valentines Day, I named my second horse Bigun, he was huge at 6 months old. I named our Dog Edison (my husband has a thing for electrical engineers) and I named my most recent horse Junior because he was only 2 when I got him and I really didn't want such a young horse (again) but figured he was too old to be called Baby (btw, he came to me with the name Spike)

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home