Sunday, April 30, 2006

More Trip Pictures - Day 1

Day 1 of our drive from Phoenix to Maryland via Pittsburgh had us head to Flagstaff and hang a right for about 60 billion miles. Flagstaff is about 2 hours north of Phoenix, and the elevation change took us from about 11oo feet to 7000 feet above sea level.

This was about an hour and a half into the start of our adventure:


As we got to Flagstaff, we could see the snow-covered San Francisco Peaks, the highest mountain range in Arizona:


After hanging a right at Flagstaff, things got...boring. It was like this for the next several gazillion hours:

Side note: We left early, around 7:00 am, figuring with 12 hours to drive, we'd get to our first destination (Elk City, OK) around 7:00 pm. Great idea in theory, until someone forgot to factor in the 2-time-zone change between Phoenix, on Pacific Time, and Oklahoma, on Central time. So, we pulled into Elk City at 10:30 local time. Considering our plan was to get up the next morning at 5:00 am to start Leg 2, this was not a good thing.

As we approached Albuquerque, we finally started seeing some landscape:


My favorite were these fake antelopes and things on the side of this butte:

After New Mexico, we scooted across the top of the Great State of Texas. I'll pick up there with my next post :)

13 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey, you guys drove through some of my former stomping grounds. I spent my first two years of college in El Reno, OK--right on I-40. My hometown is about 40 miles S. of there.

10:23 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Those fake antelope are hilarious!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Urdarbrunnr said...

Yep, I drove through the Res a couple years back; I was greatly concerned that I didn't bring enough music to get me through the drive. I learned to love the Replacements career retrospective: Beer for Breakfast, Left of the Dial - it was a great opportunity to learn the words to all their songs.

I still love long road trips and the more tourist traps the better! Americana is great! It just takes the right attitude. You need to stop and see the world's largest ball of twine (Darwin, MN) and the Cadillac Ranch and anything Rte 66 is way cool!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Hi jj - yep, it was I-40 for a loooong ways!

Hey mebeth - I laughed for quite a while after seeing those. Of course, at first, I pointed to them and said "Oh my god, look! There's antelope on the rock!!" Joe looked at me like I was an idiot...imagne that!

SK! I always knew you were odd, this confirms it. Hee hee. Speaking of Americana (and odd!)....nothing topped the Museum of Questionable Medical Devices in your neck of the woods. I think it's gone now, but I will never forget it!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Urdarbrunnr said...

Oh you have no idea
My Life

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home